Fully renovated bathrooms always look spic and span. They continually turn out to be the most desired area that adds a lot of real estate value to your home. Remodeling costs differ if you want to redo a small to mid-size bathroom or master to a custom-style bathroom. Here we have shared the complete guide that tells you the exact process of estimating the cost when remodeling a bathroom:
An old and boring-looking bathroom does not attract buyers and it will further decrease your home reselling value. However, fully renovated bathrooms escalate and dramatically increase the reselling value and bring massive potential buyers.
We know that remodeling seems one of the toughest projects to accomplish and its costs are not that much quicker to estimate. But do not worry, the below-mentioned details are easy to comprehend and you will get valuable insights:
Average Estimated Cost to Remodel a Bathroom
- 1 Average Estimated Cost to Remodel a Bathroom
- 2 Which Bathroom Remodeling Level To Go For?
- 2.1 Estimated Cost For DIY Facelifting Of Small-Size Bathrooms
- 2.2 Estimated Cost Of Complete Makeover To Mid-size Bathrooms
- 2.3 Estimated Cost For Remodeling A Master-Size Bathroom
- 2.4 Estimated Per Square Foot Cost of Bathroom Remodeling Projects
- 2.5 Average Labor Cost While Renovating a Bathroom
- 2.6 Average Bathroom Materials And Fixtures Cost
- 2.7 Cost To Hire a Designer For Redoing a Bathroom
- 2.8 Breakdown For Bathroom Shower Remodeling Costs
- 2.9 Breakdown For Bathtub Remodeling Costs
- 2.10 Estimated Cost For Cabinetry, Vanity & Countertops
- 2.11 Average Cost to Install New Bathroom Floor
- 3 More Points to Keep In Mind!
- 4 Tips to Save a Cash on Bathroom Remodeling Project
- 5 Conclusion
According to the experts, the average bathroom remodeling cost turns out to be $10,000. Per square foot price generally becomes $110 to $300. On the other hand, if you plan to update your essential fixtures for a small bathroom, the cost will range between $3,000 to $6,000. 5×7 baths redoing cost is $6,000 to $10,000. In addition, the large master-size baths renovations reach up to $15,000.
Which Bathroom Remodeling Level To Go For?
You should not assume that remodeling a bath will always be one of the expensive projects and break your bank account. That is not the case at all! The choice is totally up to you at which level you want to redo it. You can either give it a DIY facelift or plan to give it a complete makeover or think of expanding it a bit. We have broken down the costs on the basis of these levels, you can check out the details.
Individuals prefer redoing their baths on their own and end up giving them a DIY facelift for saving money and materials. However, for projects of a complete makeover, you need to spend more cash, hire a general contractor, and buy high-price fixtures. For DIYs, the cost will reach up to $1,000 and $50,000 for a fully remodeled bathroom that is expanded, and encompassed by top-end materials as well as fixtures.
Estimated Cost For DIY Facelifting Of Small-Size Bathrooms
This marks to be the basic level of renovation that you can go for. It is budget-friendly, does not cost that much, and gives a fresh look to your bath as well. While indulging in such a makeover project, homeowners work themselves. In addition, they only bring tiny bit cosmetic changes and nothing more than that.
We usually spot the up-gradation of the sink and toilet. No more repairing is done in areas of plumbing, wiring, or ventilation. No wall structures are changed. If the sink and toilet seem to be present in fine condition, then the homeowner considers buying a bathtub and shower.
Other ideas that you can think of are to replace the flooring with budget-friendly material. In this regard, you can go for luxury vinyl tiles stuff. It is better to replace your old vanity and sink and get a new model instead. Besides, get a new toilet and mirror. It will be super great if you paint the walls as well.
The estimated cost depends on the type of fixtures and the quality of materials that you will buy. All in all, the average DIF face lifting costs $2,000 to $6,000. Thus, it is the minor-scale renovation that you can go for and it generally includes adding economical fixtures and basic upgrades to your bathroom section.
Estimated Cost Of Complete Makeover To Mid-size Bathrooms
Here we are going to talk about the practice of giving a complete makeover to your bathroom. Most importantly, such a makeover demands the complete replacement of fixtures. Try incorporating little extensions and small changes.
This includes changing the wall paint, repairing the plumbing lines, replacing floors, changing the wall surfaces. Think about adding ceramic tiles, getting a new vanity that comes with quartz or granite countertop, and also an integrated sink. A complete makeover also includes additions like buying a new bathtub with a tiled wall and premium shower valve as well as a glass door.
Hence, the average cost while renovating a mid-size bathroom ranges in between $6,000 to $16,000. Remember that here you will be doing a complete tear-out. Each and everything is going to be replaced. The only difference is that the layout remains the same. Midrange bathroom renovation practices include installing cost-friendly fixtures and showers. Avoid having hi-fi flooring and lighting. Try replacing the cabinets and mirrors in an economical style.
Estimated Cost For Remodeling A Master-Size Bathroom
A master bathroom redoing costs between $11,000 to $31,000 on average! However, if you want to give a luxury feel to it, the cost will definitely reach up to $60,000.
While performing such a renovation, it is a must for you to add high-end fixtures and use upscale materials. It will be super great if you get a freestanding bathtub and walk-in shower. How about adding a double vanity, stunning flooring, impressive lighting in between!
Such a project cannot be managed by amateurs and you need to hire a professional. Hire a person that shows excellent carpentry capability and demolition skills. Select the one that reconfigures your bathroom structure and layout in a stunning manner. As you will be heading to give your bathroom a complete makeover, that is why it cannot be done on a DIY basis!
Estimated Per Square Foot Cost of Bathroom Remodeling Projects
$100 to $300 is believed to be the average remodeling bathroom cost on a per square foot basis. The cost varies depending on the situation what kind of fixtures, materials, labor you have opted for. For DIY bathroom remodeling projects, the cost comparatively becomes low and it starts from $60 to $90 per square foot.
Average Labor Cost While Renovating a Bathroom
20% of your total budget is consumed by the labor cost. Their average price ranges between $1,500 to $4,500 while redoing a standard bathroom. On the other hand, they charge $50 to $100 per hour. This cost also varies depending on the fact how much experienced he is!
Plumbers charge $50 to $160 per hour, electrician charges $50 to $110 per hour. The labor cost while hiring a painter goes in between $30 to $60 per hour. Professionals doing the drywall installation charge $1.70 to $3.80 per square foot and interior designers shall charge $60 to $210 per hour.
Average Bathroom Materials And Fixtures Cost
The average cost falls between $3,000 to $11,000 on average. We have compiled a breakdown so that our readers get further comprehensive understanding:
- Cabinetry and hardware installation: $1800
- Vanity: $400 to $3000
- Countertops: $300 to $1100
- Faucets and plumbing repairing: $1600
- Lighting: $60 to $400
- Mirror: $40 to $600
- Plumbing: $500 to $2,500
- Walls and ceilings: $700
- Exhaust fan: $40 to $400
- Installation of Doors and windows: $300 to $1600
- Fixtures upgradation: $400 to $2,600
- Showers: $500 to $5000
- Flooring renewal: $400 to $2000
- Paint: $60 to $300
Cost To Hire a Designer For Redoing a Bathroom
Bathroom designers charge $60 to $210 per hour if you are merely consulting them. Like, for taking suggestions and any piece of advice, you need to pay them this much. But the cost becomes more if you will properly recruit them for designing your bathroom layout completely. In this concern, the price comes out to be $1,300 to $5000. All in all, designers take 5% to 10% of your project cost.
Breakdown For Bathroom Shower Remodeling Costs
Some people love upgrading their bathroom showers. Do you want to know how much their estimated cost is; here you can see the details. The shower remodeling cost falls between $900 to $6,000 on average. For installing a new shower, the price extends from $3,000 to $10,000. On the other hand, if you feel like adding a soaker tub that comes with a separate walk-in shower, the cost will definitely become $6,000 to $16,000. Besides, for retiling a shower, the estimated cost starts from $900 to $2900.
Breakdown For Bathtub Remodeling Costs
The cost varies primarily depending on what kind of bathtub you want to buy, whether you are interested in getting a simple style or the luxurious-looking one! The average cost is $900 to $5000. Some prefer only getting a bathtub liner because this practice entirely covers the existing tub and the price gets reduced as well. In addition, for reglazing a tub, the cost charges will come in between $300 to $600.
Estimated Cost For Cabinetry, Vanity & Countertops
The overall installation of a new and spic-span looking bathroom costs $600 to $3,500 on average! Most importantly, if you wish to get a two-door cabinet, its price will be $550 or $1,500 that typically and generally comes with three drawers.
When it comes to redoing bathroom countertops, the price will start from $400 to $1,600. Giving you a more basic idea, remodeling countertops might cost $16 to $70 per square foot.
Nowadays, various countertop materials are available in the market and it is up to you which material you want to pick for your bathroom.
- Per square foot price for ceramic or porcelain tile countertops is $16 to $26.
- Per square foot price for laminate countertops is $16 to $51.
- Per square foot price for Formica countertops is $16 to $31.
- Per square foot price for concrete countertops is $70 to $140.
- Per square foot price for granite countertops is $60 to $210.
- Per square foot price for marble countertops is $30 to $200.
- Per square foot price for quartz countertops is $60 to $110.
- Per square foot price for engineered stone countertops is $50 to $110.
Average Cost to Install New Bathroom Floor
On average, it has come out to be $8 to $21 per square foot. You need to understand that the flooring installation costs entirely depend on factors like which materials you are using! Whether you want to redo the old floor or wish to get new flooring.
- Tile flooring cost in between $11 to $21
- Vinyl flooring cost in between $03 to $09
- Linoleum flooring cost in between $04 to $11
- Wood flooring cost in between $07 to $21
More Points to Keep In Mind!
- For demolishing a bathroom, the average cost is $500 to $2,500. In addition, it depends on your bathroom size and the kind of fixtures and materials that you want to remove.
- For expanding a bathroom, the average estimated cost starts from $2,600 to $13,000. When we talk about the practice of expanding a bathroom, then we usually opt for the practice like installing new plumbing pipes. It will be required from you to reroute electrical wiring, install new framing as well as drywall.
- The price comes out to be $500 to $2000 per fixture if you want to install plumbing pipes. In addition, for rerouting electrical wires, you might have to pay $3 to $5 per square foot. Moreover, drywall installation price in between $2.00 to $2.50 per square foot.
- You might be wondering how much it costs to remodel a bathroom for disables, here you can see the details. The average cost is$2,600 to $11,000 on average. All in all, you need to remodel that bathroom in a manner that it becomes handicap-accessible. The addition of grab bars, railings remains a must.
- Even more, you need to change the heights of sink and toilet. Include a walk-in bathtub. Some prefer installing a barrier-free shower. Rest, in such a project, you need to add a handheld showerhead.
Basic or High-end Bathroom Fixtures: Cost Differences
The cost varies a lot whether you are interested in getting economy-grade bathroom fixtures or prefer having the high-end and luxury one. For economy-grade fixtures, the average price of $600 to $2,600. For those who want to add high-end fixtures in their bathroom, the price will jump from $5,000 and $21,000.
- The basic-looking toilet price is $200 to $500 and customized toilet fixture will cost you $800 to $2100.
- The simplest looking bathtub price is $200 to $900 and customized toilet fixture will cost you $1600 to $11000.
- An average looking sink price is $60 to $500 and luxurious sink fixture will cost you $800 to $2100.
- The basic-looking lighting price is $200 to $1100 and high-end lighting fixture will cost you $1300 to $4100.
- The typical-looking vanity cabinet price is $150 to $900 and high-end vanity cabinet fixture will cost you $1300 to $5100.
Is It Really Worthy to Remodel a Bathroom?
Definitely, it will always be worthy to remodel and fully renovate your bathrooms. This practice boosts your home’s resale value. In addition, it helps you outsell your home quickly.
Those owners who have remodeled their bathrooms, end up getting 70% to 79% return on investment. Besides, their overall property value gets dramatically increased by $13,000 to $40,000.
If you have gone for a standard remodeling project that inculcates the simplest and typical designs, the ROI will be 70% and upscale remodeling that shows the inclusion of the latest designs and custom fixtures will help you yield a 79% return on investment.
The whole project takes a lot of time to complete, so remain patient and avoid leaving it in the middle of the road. For a complete makeover, the whole project will take around and about 15 to 20 days or you can say that up to 4 weeks on average.
For small-scale renovations, the project takes up to 2 weeks. The whole project duration also depends on factors like size, design, as well as the amount of plumbing and electrical wiring work that needs to be done!
Tips to Save a Cash on Bathroom Remodeling Project
It is advised to redo your bathroom in stages. There is no need to renovate the whole section in one go. Divide it in certain timelines, determine the proper budget and redo it accordingly.
Furthermore, it is not recommended to move your tub, toilet, shower, and other fixtures. If you do so, additional plumbing cost has to be paid out by you. Keep the fixtures wherever they are and avoid moving them from one spot to another.
It is better to buy the fixtures and materials on your own. This way, you can bargain. Moreover, try reusing fixtures instead of buying new ones. If your toilet and sink are in fine condition, there is no need to buy them.
Repaint the old tiles and fixtures. This will help you in cutting costs. Besides, it is better to go for open shelving as compared to having cabinets. This practice is more cost-friendly and brings more space into your bathroom.
Try doing some DIY! Instead of handing over all project tasks to contractors, painters, plumbers, try completing a few of the duties on your own. Like, you can easily remove old fixtures, rip out old tiles, remove old tubs and paint the walls yourself.
The bottom line is to keep in mind all the above-mentioned points while you plan to give a small to big makeover look to your bathroom. There are various remodeling levels that have been introduced and you can choose them according to your budget range.
Getting a renovated bathroom is actually been perceived as a room expansion. Complete such projects with seriousness and also with full determination because you are investing your time, money, blood, and sweat.
Thus, getting an all-new bathroom is an arduous task; it involves lots of cost and budgeting. But the details mentioned above might have given you a complete understanding. Remember that renovating a bathroom means tearing out walls, reframing new walls, adding new plumbing lines, installing new electrical circuits, buying a new sink and shower, bath and toilet.
So, it is better to assign this project to a professional general contractor if your renovation demands are extensive. A fully remodeled bathroom definitely needs subcontractors, carpenters, and plumbers, electricians, and even tile setters, and painters. Stay tuned to have more updates and feel free to share with us how you often remodel your bathroom. Immerse yourself in the creativity pool and share with us any remodeling ideas that you can think of!