The cost to paint the interior of a house is between $0.5 -$5 per sq. feet. The cost of painting a house varies from area to area. If you’re residing in a posh area, you’ll have to pay a higher price and inverse. The average cost per square foot is lesser if the house owner paints the house himself. If you’re seeking some professional help, than the average expense will vary depending upon how well situated, and well recognized the painters’ company is. The main cost will be the raw material; paint, and the wages of the labor. Usually, it goes like 25% for the paint and 75% for the worker. But, if you do the main work yourself, you can save a lot of bucks, as labor is quite expensive. Painting a house, either it’s interior, or exterior isn’t an easy job. It requires a lot of patience and skills to do this job, so most people prefer getting some expert help.
Calculate Estimated Cost to Paint a House
There are a lot of factors that add up to the total cost of painting a house interior, like; the house size, number of doors and windows to paint. Another factor which holds importance is the project type; if you’re painting a newly constructed house or a renovated one. Likewise, the number of storeys, wall colours, paint ceiling, paint moulding, and the region where you’re located are also significant. As a rough estimate, we’ve formulated an average cost sketch which may imply while painting the house. Painting the exterior of the home is less costly than the interior, as it requires less technique and skillset. On average, a 500 sq. feet house will cost up to $750-$1500. For a single storey 1000 sq. feet home, the cost goes around $1500-$3000 and a 4000 sq. feet house’s interior costs around $6000-$12000. By looking at these figures, we can conclude that the prices fluctuate depending on how widespread the house is.
In-case there is any damage to the walls, and it needs repairing, you’ll have to pay extra for the repairs. Mostly, average quality paint requires 2-3 coats of the paint to get the best results and vibrant colour. If you’re using high-quality paint, then one layer will be enough to enhance the walls of your house. A gallon of paint bucket will cover almost 350 sq feet; keep this ratio in your mind before spending on the paint itself. It is assumed that covering the walls with a light coloured paint is more accessible than a dark colour. Similarly, Satin or glossy finish paint costs more than a flat finish paint. But, the former tends to have a fine finish. If you only have to paint one or two rooms in the house, it might cost you higher than painting the whole house. The phenomenon behind it is the economies of scale, which means that fewer resources will result in increased output. However, painting a less area will require more resources and less production.
Painting a house interior yourself is less pricey if you do it yourself. For this, the supplies which you’ll require are; the paint, paintbrushes, drop cloth, painter’s tape, hole fillers, roller tray, sponges, and sandpaper. The total of these supplies is $10-$250. But, if you hire a specialist, he will charge you around $800 depending on the current per sq. feet rate in the market.
6 Tips to Save money While Painting House
- The first and foremost step is to figure out the locations which require painting. The charges for painting a gypsum board ceiling will be more as compared to painting a GWB wall. It is always recommended to get a construction material take off services quantity takeoff for painting activity from a Good estimating service provider. All you need to do is to send them drawings/blueprints and you will get the total quantity of paint required for the project at very nominal rates. So, after you get the total ceiling area, wall area, no of doors, no of windows that require painting, it would be easy to get the estimated cost to paint the building.
- After getting the quantities, the next step is to get bids from different painting services in your area. Ask your friends, relative, co-workers, or anyone in the neighborhood who knows about any painting service. Always do the bargaining, and never settle on the first price. If you do so, you’ll lose the bargain option, and it might cost you much. Look for any recommended website and check their prices. Once, you’ve met a painter; discuss how many gallons of paint are needed, and how much time will be sufficient. If there are any wall or mould repairs, more time will be consumed, which will up to the total painting cost.
- Painting a house gives it a fresh look at less costs. It isn’t affordable for everyone to at once change the complete interior of the house, so the painting does help. But it’s not recommended to give the walls, windows, and the doors a new colour, if you’re looking for some budget-friendly options. If the previous colours work fine and there are not many repairs, then go for the colour which is already there on the walls. It will require fewer coats to freshen up the look than a new colour.
- As the deal gets closed, don’t only rely on the verbal agreements. Get it stated in writing. There might be some cheats, and you may end up in the hands of a fraudulent company. So, to avoid any future risks, state down everything on a piece of paper, and get it signed by both parties. For instance, if you don’t want to get the railings painted, write it down.
- When you notice that the paint is shredding and has started to blur, get it repainted. Keep giving timely retouches to avoid future costs. Wall repairs can cost a lot, and most companies charge at per hour rate of a painter. When it gets summed up, the total cost of repairs may be nearing the total labour cost. It is also not necessary to get the whole house painted at once. Trim off some unnecessary parts like the interiors of the cupboards, or the cabinets, and the ceilings. Let it go for the next time you hire a painter.
- Don’t entirely rely on the painters; keep giving them a helping hand in between. It will help you to reduce the total labour cost as the job will now get divided. You can trim the shrubs, sand, scrap, and patch. You can also help in reinstalling the doorknobs and the switching plates and lastly, moving the furniture can also save you some money.